READ OUR BLOG
3 Tips to Simplify Your OS Migration
With Microsoft exiting the enterprise mobile device market, thousands of companies are now facing the need to switch to a new OS. But migrating to a new OS can seem overwhelming, especially if you’re already busy trying to keep your day-to-day operations running smoothly.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to simplify the transition, and here are the three key tips you should consider:
- Have a plan and execute it.
Managing an OS migration can be complex, even if you’re only making the switch on a small number of devices. You still need to make sure you have the right hardware to run your new OS, migrate your apps to your new platform, and handle all the configuration, testing, and training that goes along with your deployment.
A good way to keep everything manageable is to develop a detailed plan and preferably consult with a technology partner who regularly handles OS migrations and can help you through the process.
An ideal plan involves the following steps:
- Analyze your current mobile workflows and needs, and assess the future requirements that your new OS, apps, and hardware must support.
- Choose the right OS to match your current requirements and future business needs.
- Choose compatible hardware devices that will help you get the most of out of your new OS and optimize your mobile workflows for better productivity, efficiency, and ease of use.
- Port or redevelop your apps for your new OS. In most cases, redevelopment will be required to ensure compatibility with the latest OS versions.
- Reconfigure your databases and networks, as needed, to support your new OS and apps.
- Conduct extensive testing to make sure you find and address all bugs and issues before you go live.
- Train your workers and allow sufficient time for them to demo and practice with your new OS and apps before you go live.
- Deploy your new OS and devices, and be prepared to provide prompt and immediate support for any questions or unexpected issues that arise.
- Switch to Android for easier migration.
Android is now the OS of choice for all major business mobile device makers for a number of reasons, and one of the biggest of all is that it makes OS migration much easier.
Android’s open architecture, vast developer tools, sample code, and app store provide vital tools to shorten the time to redevelopment and migration, all while giving users an easier-to-use interface and the simplicity of touch computing.
Our in-house mobility experts and our technology partners at Zebra strongly recommend a switch to Android if you’re currently running Windows mobile and want to simplify your migration while turning a new OS into a major win for better workforce productivity and efficiency.
- Migrate your “green screen” TE apps with Zebra’s All-Touch TE.
Another great advantage of switching to Android is the ability to migrate your legacy “green screen” terminal emulation apps from Windows to Android in as little as minutes or hours.
Zebra’s All-Touch TE automatically migrates, configures, and resizes your green screens and apps based on your preferences—all without you having to enter a single line of code.
You can even enhance your green screens by automatically turning text-based instructions into on-screen buttons or creating fully interactive graphic screens that maximize task simplicity.
Here’s a quick video on how Zebra’s All-Touch TE works.
How to Get More Help with Your Migration
To get more OS migration advice and help with your plan, contact our mobility team at MCE today. We’d be glad to help!
Let Us Know How We Can Help
Thanks for your interest in Medical Courier Elite! If you're interested in learning more about our solution and how it can help your business, we'd be happy to schedule a demo, provide a quote or answer any questions you may have.
181 East Evans St. | Florence, SC, 29506
Phone: 843-656-2084 or 877-331-7427